Thursday, August 30, 2012

Missions, cupcakes, and mmmm mmm buenos

A couple weeks ago, I had the most AWKWARD restaurant experience with my cousins. During the last few days of Ramadan (the Muslim month of fasting) it's common to have cravings for all the foods you've missed out on for thirty days. Long days of fasting make you hungry, but you really can't ever eat as much as you want to ;)

So, my cousins and I decided to go on a fried chicken run at a lovely restaurant called Eatonville. The evening started out normal. Our waitress was a little weird, but nothing that really made one uncomfortable.

Waitress: Hello and welcome to Eatonville. Have you dined here before?
My cousins and I: Mixed response, some yeses some nos
W: Welcome. My name is Beatrice (not her real name) and I will be your server for the evening. If you don't mind me asking, where are you guys from?
MCI: Kansas, Pennsylvania, Maryland and West Africa are blurted out in succession and we proceed to order our drinks for the evening.

There was a mix up between a crab and chicken sandwich early in the meal, but other than that things were going smoothly. My posse and I were having a great dinner and charming conversation when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, Beatrice the Waitress approaches us with this:

Waitress: I'm sorry to ask you this, but would you mind if I asked a slightly personal question. Are you guys on a mission (mission as in missionaries)?
My posse and I: O_o . . . . . AWKWARD . . . .
W: waiting patiently for our reply
Cousin 1: No. We're just here for dinner.
Cousin 2: puts her head down in shame
Cousin 3: thinks to herself, I just remembered something really important that's happening right now outside the window. Lemme take a look.
Sister: drops her fork
Me: jaw drops on the floor

After she walked away, we all just stared at each other in complete silence. What just happened?!?!? We had not provided her with any information to come to that conclusion. So, what just happened?!?!?! My sister is a hijabi, so maybe she was mistaken for a nun - I don't know. It's times like this when I just wanna slap some sense into people. My alter ego, Miss F (the second cousin twice removed first aunt's neighbor's daughter who lived across the street from the awesome Mr T) would do just that.
"I pity the fool and I'm gonna slap some sense into you." - KASLAP!!!

On a less awkward note, I made cupcakes!! They are a modification of a great recipe from smittenkitchen. I used blueberries, raspberries, and chocolate chips in my cupcakes.


Recipe here


Kinder Buenos are the official chocolate of Senegalia. If you haven't tried one yet, you should! But they are hard to find in the US :(  


No comments:

Post a Comment